Renowned for ‘The Cave temple’ that sits hundreds of statues of Buddha and bodhisattvas, many carved directly from the cave rock, the walls are alive with frescoes of religious and secular scenes and beautiful geometric designs in warm oranges and gold. +
/ SIGIRIYA /
A site of historical and archaeological significance that is dominated by a massive column of rock nearly 200 metres (660 ft) high. According to the ancient Sri Lankan chronicle the Culavamsa, this site was selected by King Kasyapa (477 – 495 CE) for his new capital. He built his palace on the top of this rock and decorated its sides with colourful frescoes.
On a small plateau about halfway up the side of this rock he built a gateway in the form of an enormous lion. The name of this place is derived from this structure — Sīhāgiri, the Lion Rock.
The capital and the royal palace was abandoned after the king’s death. It was used as a Buddhist monastery until the 14th century.
Also known as the Dambulu Raja Maha Viharaya – it is the most venerated, celebrated and most probably the most visited. The cave complex that consists of five viharayas is a spectacular setting on a massive rock some 1118 ft. above sea level. Initial temple built by King Valagamba in the first century BC houses over 60 buddha statues.